Baptisms
Family Tree Research
Church Photos
St Marks Staff
Heads Diary
History Of St Marks
Families
Workplaces
Neighbours
Registers
School Photos
Where Are They Now
Guestbook
Weddings
Home Page

BackNext

Black Horse St

Updated December 21, 2016 5:45 PM

Moor Lane bus station was built on the land to the left, Photo circa 1930

Photo circa 1979, Photo's courtesy of Bolton Museums.

Around the late 1780s it was known as Thweat St after James Thweat (or Thweats, or Thwaites ) who built, nearby in King St (named after George III) one of Bolton's first spinning mills.
At that time it was only a short street, ending in a timber yard of Peter Rothwell, with whom the young Isaac Dobson joined in partnership soon after his arrival in Bolton in 1789, and the firm since famous as Dobson and Barlow was founded
Isaac Dobson's first Bolton residence was at the Black Horse Inn in Thweat St, which was then almost a suburban area.
The Inn was then a popular meeting place for the business men of the town; so much so that it soon imposed it's name on the street.
A Black Horse Club was held there, to which most of the leading citizens of the town belonged. Samuel Crompton was made a member of it when he moved to King St.
The Dobson firm prospered and remained in the same street until 1846 when it moved to Kay St. The premises stood till the 1930s when the new civic centre clearance scheme began.

Blackhorse St gradually developed into a street of engineering works, but all have disappeared now. there is nothing left of what was once one of the most important industrial areas in the town.

Ex St Marks School/Church

Vela Entwistle,

BackNext

Baptisms
Family Tree Research
Church Photos
St Marks Staff
Heads Diary
History Of St Marks
Families
Workplaces
Neighbours
Registers
School Photos
Where Are They Now
Guestbook
Weddings
Home Page