courtesy of Nic from Bolton.org
Bradford St was part of the first conscious bit of town
planning in Bolton nearly two centuries ago, and it was then intended
to call it New Bury Rd, but the plan was not carried out
A long street facing a canal from it's east bank was to have been named
Bradford Terrace, the north part of which is now Dorset St.
The area about what is now Trinity St. was then Bradford Sq.
The first portion of what has since become Manchester Rd, from Trinity
St to about Orlando Bridge was formerly named Bradford Place. See right
The bridge that was over the River Croal
in Bradford St was named Bradford Bridge, the bridge now runs over the
A666. A nearby park that opened in 1894 was named Bradford Park.
The name Bradford was, then very important in Bolton, we learned the reason
why when considered the history of Newport St.
The head of the Bridgeman family, who was lord of the manor of Great Bolton,
was made Earl of Bradford in 1815, and all the Bradford names in Bolton,
date from that time.
The Bradford name does not come from the Yorkshire city of woolens, but
from the family seat of the Bridgeman family in Shropshire; really a small
A Newport terrace named after the title borne by the eldest sons of the
Earl of Bradford was also planned nearly two centuries ago to face the
River Croal from it's western bank, roughly where Westbrook St now stands.
The Bridgeman family have no active connection with life in the town,
but their rent rolls in the 1940s continued to be garnered into the Silverwell
St estate offices.
Ex St Marks School/Church