Baptisms
Family Tree Research
Church Photos
St Marks Staff
Heads Diary
History Of St Marks
Families
Workplaces
Neighbours
Registers
School Photos
Where Are They Now
Guestbook
Weddings
Home Page

BackNext

Chorley Old Rd

Updated December 21, 2016 6:23 PM

Left photo taken 1949. Photo below from the 1990s

Photo's courtesy of Nic from Bolton.org

Chorley Old Rd is one of the oldest radial roads in the town.

For a great number of years it was the only main road to Horwich, Chorley and Preston, for Chorley New Rd was not planned until 1824.

When Turnpike Trusts were established for the upkeep of roads from the proceeds of tolls bars, it was taken over by the Bolton and Nightingale Trust.
It's toll-bar at Doffcocker existed until 1877, when the Trust was abolished.
The road remained very sparsely populated until the second half of the 19th century, when the cotton industry developed rapidly, mills were built, and horses were needed for the workers.

The houses at Park Hill, at the Crofters end which were demolished in the 1930s for the extension of the frontage to St Barnabas Church, were amongst the oldest on the road.
At what is known as the Victory stood a group of cottages which were known as Cooke's in the 1830s, and a bowling green was behind the Inn and the quaint old cottages.
In those early days Doffcocker was the notable habitation along the whole road having developed mainly as a handloom weaving community.

Ex St Marks School/Church

Susan Wilcox,

BackNext

Baptisms
Family Tree Research
Church Photos
St Marks Staff
Heads Diary
History Of St Marks
Families
Workplaces
Neighbours
Registers
School Photos
Where Are They Now
Guestbook
Weddings
Home Page