Updated December 21, 2016 9:04 PM
Same view as top
Gaskell St School
Gaskell St is an old street, but not under it's present name. It was formerly known as Nelson St for the same reason Nelson Sq and the Nelson public house got their names, in gratitude to the victor at Trafalgar.
Lord Hampson and Lord's mill, to which point the Mere Hall estate then extended, beyond was a field path and a turnstile to Mere Hall.
The old row of houses that once stood at the Chorley Old Rd end was a survivor of the period, as is also the row between the Park Mills and Lord Hampson and Lord's that still stand today as shown in the fourth photo.
Another old row, named Black Row stood where once stood the gable ends of Wallace and Orm streets next to Gaskell St School which has also been demolished now.
There was, too, a tangle of five or six cottages where the "ginnet" entered the street.
Messrs Lord Hampson and Lord's first mill was built in 1860 and the second in 1870, and they were named Nelson mills after the street.
Then the name was changed because another Nelson St existed on the other side of town (Great Bolton), when all the sub districts became one.
At Wellington House which stood behind the street on Chorley Old Rd, lived Samuel Gaskell, an attorney with professional premises in Churchbank, and it was he who gave the street it's new name.
One side of the street was once entirely taken up by cotton mills. On the other side where Gaskell St school once stood was once a Methodist Sunday school, which developed out of a Lyon St cottage meeting house founded in 1870.
Ex St Marks School/Church