Updated December 21, 2016 9:04 PM
View of Gas St gasometers from Queens Park
Lum St gasometer on the other side of town 2007
Ex St Marks School/Church
A commonplace and severly practical
name for a street scarcely desirable as a habitation. but when the gas
works was first placed there it was on the very outskirts of town.
A gas station in Lum St station was erected in 1851, and gas consumption increased enormously as time went on. In 1852 it was 16,133,000 cubic feet. In 1872 when the undertaking was taken over by Bolton Corporation it was 304,585,000 cubic feet.
In 1855 Bolton ceased to supply Farnworth and Kearsley after the Farnworth and Kearsley Gas Co was built on Bolton Rd.
During the 1st world war years the figures reached a thousand million.
The Gas St premises were completely modernized in 1922 and the new retort house built the same year.
During the 2nd world war Bolton supplied two thousand million cubic feet per annum to the people of Bolton, Turton, Horwich and Rivington.
On the 10th of June1940, two men and a woman were arrested when they were seen photographing the site.
In 2016 the gasometers had not been used for several years and have now been demolished.