Updated December 22, 2016 1:24 PM
Photo courtesy of Bolton Museums
The street to the left in the photo is Vernon St, Nuttall House is on the corner of Merehall St-Wentworth St it cannot be seen as it would be opposite the UCP van, Back Arkwright St is to the right directly opposite Vernon St, Merehall Park would be straight on and round the bend, the photographer would be actually stood on Prince St.
Mere Hall is now used by the Bolton Register Office
The History of Mere Hall
The Mere Hall estate of nearly two century's ago was far greater than the Thomasson Park (Merehall Park), which is all that survives today.
Then it extended from what is now Mount St, on the north to the now demolished Ainscow St., connecting it Gaskell St and Vernon St at the south, and from Vernon St, and the now demolished Arkwright St. in the east to Gaskell St the Mortfield reservoirs (now rugby pitch) and Yarrow Place on the west.
Mere Hall was built on and took it's name from Mere
Hill, which name is now lost.
When Mere Hall became a park an open air swimming bath was made on the site of the mere, but it was filled in the early 1900s and made into the children's playground.
The swiftly developing Bolton of the latter half of the 19th century gradually encroached on the estate. Wentworth, Leicester and Nottingham streets (all now gone) were built on the eastern portion of it. so were Mount, Stowell, Halifax and Fleet streets on the northern portion, and Mere Hall, Lyon, Kenyon and others on the west adjoining the Mortfield reservoirs.
It was Isaac Dobson who founded the important local
firm of Dobson and Barlow in 1790, who built Mere Hall, and he never dreamt
that the town would one day encroach upon it, although his firm helped
considerably in the process. When he built it and what is now St George's
The park was opened to the public in 1890, most of the surrounding streets have gone and had been built on again in the 1970s and 1990s.
Ex St Marks School/Church