Pool St was really named after a pool,
and it was a large one and was situated just beyond the River Croal on
its north bank.
The pool evidently served the old works which once stood on Bark Bank,
at its eastern end.
In 1777 St Helena Mill (in photo) was built on Pool St and was in the
1930s Bolton's oldest surviving mill.
Until the first quarter of the 19th century all to its north was meadow
land and not even a field path existed to suggest a pool St would soon
be in existence.
The street was one of those planned at the same time as St Georges Rd
on each side of which it once ran, when the north bank of the River Croal
was being developed in the second quarter of the 19th century.
Its alignment remains the same today as when first planned if not considerably
shorter becuase of the high level, Marsden Rd was engineered in 1877.It
was a curious jumble of store yards and property, particulary at it's
lower end, which seems tucked away and overshadowed by the massive bulk
of the high level.Had the latter not been built Pool St would have become
a much more important thoroughfare.
Ex St Marks School/Church
Joseph E Camberry,