Baptisms
Family Tree Research
Church Photos
St Marks Staff
Heads Diary
History Of St Marks
Families
Workplaces
Neighbours
Registers
School Photos
Where Are They Now
Guestbook
Weddings
Home Page

BackNext

School Hill

Updated December 22, 2016 2:06 PM

Photo's courtesy of Bolton Museums

St George's Church was consecrated in 1796. It stood then in the midst of meadows with green hedgerows and singing birds about it, on the rise between where the river croal once ran and the hill to it's north.
Lark Hill was to the west with Green Hill between Lark Hill and the church. When the St George's National Sunday School were built at the top of what is now Bath st, the rise thereabouts and beyond became known as School Hill.
170 years ago the only other buildings on the Hill were the School Hill Chemical Works, later to become a mortuary and foundry, and School Hill House, standing in it's timbered grounds about where the Rainforth Hotel once stood.
The only street on the hill developed between the schools and Prince st.
It was John Rainforth, a native of Yorkshire, after whom the Rainforth hotel was named, who built the School Hill Chemical Works.
He was an oil of vitriol, soap and bleaching powder manufacturer, and also became a medical practitioner, with premises in Bridge st and Market st. He died in 1857 at the age of 78
He was a corporal in the Bolton Light Horse Volunteers.
The curiously stepped houses that was opposite the Rainforth Hotel were built at the beginning of the 1900s.

When we moved from Plover St to School Hill. I didn't want to leave St Marks, and had to catch 2 buses to get there.
Kevin James Mcclusky Class of 1970

Below is an extract from a newspaper, the year is 1874
SHORTLY after ten o'clock last night, the inhabitants of School Hill were alarmed by cries of 'Murder!', 'Police!' followed by the noise of persons running at a rapid rate through the streets. On the neighbours entering the streets to ascertain the cause of the alarm, a man was seen hurrying in the direction of the Rainforth Hotel, in pursuit of a couple of men. It seems that Roger Toohey, of 44, School Hill, labourer for Mr James Holden, Arrowsmith Terrace, was sitting by the fireside along with his wife, and they were about to retire to rest, when they were startled by a series of loud kicks at the door. Toohey rushed out, and had gained the middle of the street, when one of two men, who appeared to be acting in concert, knocked him down with his fist, and whilst the man lay upon the ground he was savagely kicked on the head and face by his assailants, sustaining several cuts from which blood flowed freely. Mrs Toohey, hearing her husband's cries for assistance, ran, poker in hand, to her husband, but she had no sooner reached him than one of the ruffians wrenched the poker from her grasp and dealt her a blow on the side of the head, felling her to the floor. The men then ran away, followed by Toohey, but they succeeding in eluding him. The perpetrators of this outrage are described as being well-built young fellows, and apparently respectably dressed. We believe kicking at the house doors is a common practice in the neighbourhood. It is to be hoped the guilty parties will soon be in the hands of the police.

Ex St Marks School/Church

'Lowton House'

Karen Jane McClusky, Kevin James McClusky,

BackNext

Baptisms
Family Tree Research
Church Photos
St Marks Staff
Heads Diary
History Of St Marks
Families
Workplaces
Neighbours
Registers
School Photos
Where Are They Now
Guestbook
Weddings
Home Page