Baptisms
Family Tree Research
Church Photos
St Marks Staff
Heads Diary
History Of St Marks
Families
Workplaces
Neighbours
Registers
School Photos
Where Are They Now
Guestbook
Weddings
Home Page

BackNext

Waterloo St

Updated December 22, 2016 4:48 PM

Hardly anything left now of the once busy street.
Photo from my album

The great and much dreaded Napoleon was finally defeated in 1815, and the sense of relief which was then felt throughout England is still reflected in the bestowal of the name of the scene of his defeat - Waterloo - on many places in this country. In Bolton the rejoicing over Wellington's triumph was as great as elsewhere. In January 1816 a public thanksgiving service was held at the Parish Church, Col. Fletcher and the band of the Bolton Local Militia led the procession, and triumphant volleys were afterwards fired. Three months later a Bolton Waterloo Club was formed at the Commercial Inn. It is not surprising, therefore that when, soon afterwards, a fine new street was planned to connect The Folds and Tonge Moor with the junction of Halliwell and Blackburn roads it was given the name Waterloo st It was constructed across across a green landscape mainly known as Brick Hill Fields, bounded by tall poplar trees. These fields were a sort of shooting ground, and occasionally the hounds of the Ainsworth family were seen hunting there. In it's early days the Waterloo Tavern possessed a bowling green, where the spinners from the old Four Factories met to enjoy their own sport. The first of the Peel Mills was built by the Knowles family in 1844 and the second in 1855. One of them was burned down in 1873 and a so-called "glass factory" built in it's place.

Ex St Marks School/Church

Beverley Elaine Bateson, Janet Bateson, Vivienne Elizabeth Bateson, Frank Scott,

BackNext

Baptisms
Family Tree Research
Church Photos
St Marks Staff
Heads Diary
History Of St Marks
Families
Workplaces
Neighbours
Registers
School Photos
Where Are They Now
Guestbook
Weddings
Home Page