Belmont Bleach Works
Updated December 23, 2016 4:15 PM
1804 Thomas Rycroft, William Cooke and Thomas Barnes textile printing
1808 Ryecroft, Barnes and Co
1810 Thomas Ryecroft
The buildings had changed ownership or management many many times over two centuries.
The oldest part of the works lied to the left of Egerton Road, shortly after its turn-off from the Belmont road. At one point the remains of an early manager’s house could be seen built into the works. This is a typical example of a bleach or dye works in Lancashire, built by a stream in a valley bottom. The stone walls, slate roof and the highly functional design fitted well into the countryside. Chemical bleaching using chlorine was introduced to Bolton in the 1790's by the Ainsworth's at Halliwell Bleachworks and the Ridgways at Wallsuches Bleachworks in Horwich. Over 30 bleachworks have operated in Bolton and its surroundings.
2016 Part of the site has been redeveloped for housing although much of the original buildings still exist (in the photo)