Egerton Dye Works
Including Egerton Mill
Location off Blackburn Rd
In 1956, Egerton Hall was demolished. It was formerly home of the Deakin family of Egerton Dye Works, but was vacant from 1936 until 1940, when it was occupied by a section of the North London Homes for the Blind; they stayed until September, 1953, when the hall became empty again and was then bought by a contracting firm, for demolition purposes. The house had been built in about 1826 by Edmund Ashworth, JP, who had purchased the land from the Egerton Dye Works and who lived there until a year or so before his death in 1881. He was succeeded in the tenancy of the hall by his son, who died 20 years later. In 1892, the Egerton Dye Works changed hands and passed into the control of the Deakin family. For some time, Edward C. Deakin later occupied the hall, but later moved up the village to Dewhurst House. Some years after this, his third son, Edward, once Mayor of Bolton 1902-08 moved into the hall, and remained there until his death in 1935.
Updated December 24, 2016 9:31 PM
1826 Bodmer / Novelli.
1829 Consortium of owners including Henry and Edmund Ashworth.
1830 - 1853 Henry and Edmund Ashworth.
1854 Edmund Ashworth and Sons.
1880 Old mill destroyed by fire.
1884 Edmund Ashworth and Sons.
1900 Edmund Ashworth and Sons Ltd.
1925 Deakins Ltd.
1950 Deakins Ltd + Koborn Bookcloth Ltd.
1963 Deakins Ltd Closed.
1971 Koborn Bookcloth Ltd.
1971 Winterbottom Products (English Calico) Closed.
1985 Multiple industrial uses, part derelict - Deakins Industrial Estate.