September 21, 2015 3:06 PM
1830s Opened by Thomas Fletcher Snr (1805-1893), Originally
named "Back o' th Barn", it had three pits known as Ladyshore,
Victoria and Owl Hole with the latter being the deepest, Outwood Colliery
is located on the other sidw of the canal.
1835 Ladyshore is flooded many times before it's closure
1884 Ladyshore is closed but used as upcast ventilation
to The Owl Hole and Victoria Pits.
1887 Herbert Fletcher (1842-1895) now the named owner
of the colliery was summoned to Bolton Police Court to answer breach
of safety for using open flames and endangering workers, they had been
fighting an earlier notice to terminate using open flames and took it
through to the House of Lords. The case marked the end of the use of
candles and open lights in English coal mines but it left Ladyshore
the infamous distinction of being the last colliery to use open lights.
1907 Ladyshore Coal Co Ltd
1936 The Manchester Bolton Bury canal breached at Nob
1939 It is the only colliery now using the canal arm
to Bury. It had its own fleet of boats and as late as 1941 it sent 50,000
tons of coal by boat to Radcliffe and bury
1948 Animal welfare groups begin to obtain evidence
of the treatment to Pit Ponies at Ladyshore.
1949 Apr 28th Ladyshore Pit, will close down next weekend,
and today the 260 workers at the pit received a week's notice. Ladyshore
was the last pit in Lancashire to use pit ponies, and the remaining
ponies working there were brought up not long ago. The canal also went
into decline after the pit closed.
2007 Only the colliery office (now a house) and the