Baptisms
Family Tree Research
Church Photos
St Marks Staff
Heads Diary
History Of St Marks
Families
Workplaces
Neighbours
Registers
School Photos
Where Are They Now
Guestbook
Weddings
Home Page

BackNext

Park Mill

Park Mill was situated on Gaskell St.

Above during 1985-1986 demolition

Gaskell St was once called Nelson St that is where the Nelson pub got it's name but there was already another Nelson St in town so it was renamed.

Updated September 21, 2015 3:05 PM

Timeline

1866 - 1875 Built

1875 13th March
About eleven o'clock this morning, a man named William Wilkinson, a joiner, of Mason St, met with a terrible accident, whilst employed at his work. He had been engaged at the mill now in course of erection by the Park Mill Spinning Company, at Gaskell St, a magnificent erection six or seven storeys high, and this morning he was working on the rafters at the summit of the mill, when his foot slipped and he fell to the ground, in the cellar of the mill. When taken up after his fearful fall his body was found shockingly mangled, his arms, legs, skull, ribs, Etc. being crushed and broken. He was breathing his last, and died in the cab which was conveying him home. He leaves a widow and five children. At the inquest this afternoon, it was said he fell a distance of 55 feet. A verdict of 'Accidental Death' was recorded.

1884 Park Mill Spinning Co Ltd

1985 - 1986 Demolition

 

 

Baptisms
Family Tree Research
Church Photos
St Marks Staff
Heads Diary
History Of St Marks
Families
Workplaces
Neighbours
Registers
School Photos
Where Are They Now
Guestbook
Weddings
Home Page