September 21, 2015 3:05 PM
1801 Built - Jeremiah and Joshua Crook
1809 Crook and Haselden (Crook withdrew 1833)
1836 - 1843 Executors of John Haselden
1844 James Haselden
1849 Cannon and Haslam (also at Halliwell Cotton Works
and the Old Astley Bridge Mill)
1882 22nd March, Mr George F Parmelee rigged the mill
up with his brother Henrys Sprinklers invented in 1874, the mill floors
had retained some considerable oil over the years. he knew if successful
with the test the mill owners around the country would eventually buy
the system to protect their factories, On the fourth and fifth floors
the sprinklers were fitted and combustible materials and wood shavings
were scattered around the looms, the shavings were then set alight the
fire took hold immediately and dense smoke made the spectators make
a hasty retreat, after three and a half minutes the fire was fully extinguished
and the spectators could enter the mill to find it intact except for
the material and shavings they first set alight.
Eventually the mills did use the invention but it was slow progress.
1985 - 2007 Multiple users, furniture manufacturer
and carpet storage etc.
Spa(w) Mill was built on Spa(w) Lane in 1801 and run
by Jeremiah and Joshua Crook, the partnership dissolved in 1809, Joshua
continued the business with James Haselden but Joshua in 1833 withdrew
to set up his own mills in Blackburn St.
In the 1840s and 1850s the mill was run by Messrs,
Cannon and Haslam.
By the 1930s the mill had become a soap works.
It is still in use to this day.
Also known previously as Borough Corn Mills.