September 13, 2014 6:56 PM
Thomas Ryder and Son Ltd. was founded in 1865 by
the brothers William and Thomas Ryder.
Originally, and typically, the company offered a
wide range of products and offered their services as general engineers.
By the 1870s William had set up a separate business in Bark Street as
a producer of textile machines.
Ryder lathes were installed in many workshops throughout
Great Britain and a significant number were shipped to empire and dominion
The firm had roller coaster rides between the wars
but by 1966 Ryders were winning orders from all over the world including
China, Japan, Russia, Poland and South America and the number of employees
had at this time increased to around 700.
In late 1982 the firm's main activities were those
of service and the supply of spare parts. Not long after the company
moved from it's Bolton premises all trace of Thomas Ryders and Sons